Related to a spare-time project I’m working on at the moment, I’m trying to figure out what’s the situation regarding data theft from stolen laptops – opportunistic or otherwise.
Particular questions that need answering are:
- How often does it happen?
- What’s typically the level of security on these devices?
- For each device that goes missing, what’s the likelihood that the data inside is abused, sooner or later?
- How many of these devices are turned on at the time of theft?
- What’s the cost (not so much in terms of hardware, but more in terms of providing data protection services for the victims, possibility of identity theft, and reputation loss)?
- Who actually buys protection for this type of scenario?
Hopefully it’s not going to be to depressing to read 🙂